Monday, April 30, 2012

Current Events assignments due May 11

There is a month of scholar school and two current events classes left.  For our final writing assignment, I have asked the students to write an essay about "the most important thing I learned this year".  Since this is about current events, anything you learned this year, in this class or any other class or even outside of school is a current event for you.  If you tie influences from several different classes or events together, that is even better.  It is intended that this be a way for you to sum up your year of learning into one document, which will be meaningful to you personally.  (So I highly recommend typing it, so you don't give me the only copy on the last day of class.)  My important essay of the year is the "Property" essay we are reading for class.

The assignments for May 11 are:

1. Write a blog post as usual.

2. Turn in a brief topic statement of what your "The most important thing I learned this year" essay will be about.
The essay is not due until May 25, but you should at least think about it and know what you are going to write it about.

3a.  Reading assignment for younger class: an essay on Property  (in which I take issue with Locke's analysis of property and come up with a hopefully better one.)

3b.  Reading assignment for older class: Book 3 of Cicero's "On Duty" (aka "De Officiis"), in which Cicero examines the apparent conflict between the Good and the Expedient. (here is another online translation)

No comments:

Post a Comment